Opinions expressed by businessman the collaborators are theirs.
Your employees are tired. They look down and overworked. They’ve even started operating on their own and lost focus on the company’s mission, but you’re so close to reaching your next goal!
You just need motivation and you need it fast. At the same time, you know that a few words and a slight change in the mindset of your employees could make all the difference.
Related: 50 Inspirational Quotes to Motivate You
So, one solution: Find a good quote. Send the right quote at the right time, and it can change your staff’s day completely. Here are 17 quotes you can use to motivate your team, and maybe even yourself, when you need unity fast.
1. “Individual commitment with a group effort: this is what makes a team, a company, a society, a civilization work.” — Vince Lombardi
Legendary football coach Vince Lombardi knew the importance of teamwork. He recognized that the success of a team depends on all team members working toward a common goal. That’s why his team won the first two Super Bowls in NFL history. It is important to emphasize to all team members that each role, no matter how insignificant it may seem, is valuable to the overall success of the team.
2. “None of us is as smart as everyone else.” — Ken Blanchard
This is another great entry in the “each of us matters” category. No individual team member has the knowledge and experience of the team as a whole. That’s why it’s important for team members to listen to each other’s opinions, learn from their peers, and respect each other.
3. “Alone, we can do so little; together we can do so much.” — Helen Keller
This is an excellent date to offer some of the “loners” on your team. It is important that team members do not break away from the group and follow their own guidelines for what they think is best. Instead, they must work towards the success of the team as a whole.
4. “Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision, the ability to direct individual achievement toward organizational goals. It is the fuel that enables ordinary people to achieve uncommon results.” — Andrew Carnegie
If you want to learn how to succeed, you can’t do much better than listening to the advice of one of the pioneers of the Industrial Revolution. Some entrepreneurs are famous for starting businesses, Andrew Carnegie helped launch an entire industry (the steel industry). He couldn’t have done it on his own. He needed a team to help him. In the quote, he talks about how teams united in purpose can achieve unusual results. Considering he sold his steel company to JP Morgan for about $370 billion today (as a share of GDP), you could say he practiced what he preached.
5. “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.” — Michael Jordan
To this day, many people think that Michael Jordan was the best basketball player in the history of the sport. However, he also knew the importance of teamwork.
Related: 10 Star Wars Quotes Every Employer Should Heed
A fair team can win “games”. That is, you can reach some milestones and achieve some of your goals. A great team, on the other hand, can win “championships”. You can create a business that is the next Amazon, Airbnb or Uber.
6. “Teamwork is so important that it is virtually impossible for you to reach the heights of your abilities or make the money you want without becoming very good.” — Brian Tracy
Motivational speaker Brian Tracy made an excellent point about teamwork in the quote above: Success is almost literally impossible unless there is teamwork. It’s a good quote to share with your employees after you reach a milestone because it reinforces the idea that goals can only be achieved if the team works together.
7. “In teamwork, silence is not golden, it is deadly.” — Mark Sanborn
For a team to function effectively, there must be open channels of communication. It’s a sign that there’s something chronically wrong with a team when members don’t feel like they can voice concerns, disagree, or offer suggestions. Make sure everyone on your team knows that dialogue is always welcome.
8. “If you can laugh together, you can work together” — Robert Orben
Not everything about teamwork has to be strictly business. Team members who can socialize well together will also perform better when it comes time to achieve company goals. Make sure your teams have a fun time together, whether it’s at a sporting event, happy hour, or some other social activity.
9: “The speed of the head is the speed of the team.” — Lee Iacocca
Lee Iacocca was one of the great business leaders of the 20th century. This was partly because he understood the importance of leading by example.
At what “velocity” are you moving toward achieving your team’s goals? This is the same speed your team will move. Don’t expect your team members to be more committed to success than you are. However, they will often be just as committed.
Related: 14 Inspirational Movie Quotes for Entrepreneurs
10. “The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team” — Phil Jackson
Basketball coach Phil Jackson understood that there is a mutually beneficial relationship between teams and team members. Of course, it is important that people within a team work towards a common goal. However, it is also important for teams to support individual members when needed. When a team member feels down or discouraged, other members should offer support. When a team member has accomplished something important, the other members should praise.
11. “Great teams don’t stick with each other. They’re not afraid to air their dirty laundry. They admit their mistakes, their weaknesses, and their concerns without fear of retaliation.” — Patrick Lencioni
The key point of this quote is transparency. Team members must be open with each other and must be able to read colleagues like a book. It is important that all team members offer a non-judgmental and supportive attitude to people who have been harmed. It is also important that team members willingly acknowledge their shortcomings and opportunities for development. This way, tasks can be assigned based on a team member’s strengths.
12. “Be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, recognize their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help each other, everyone wins.” — Jim Stovall
Motivational speaker Jim Stovall’s advice is not just for team leaders, but for individual team members as well. The bottom line here is that it shouldn’t be up to a team leader alone to provide positive reinforcement to team members when they achieve their goals. It is important for everyone to praise colleagues who have achieved significant achievements. This type of business culture will create a powerful team.
13. “There is no such thing as a self-made man. You will only achieve your goals with the help of others.” — George Shinn
The owner of the Charlotte Hornets basketball team freely admitted that he was not a self-made man. He achieved success with the help of others.
Related: 10 Inspirational Quotes From Navy SEAL Training
It may seem like a quote that is only meant for leaders. However, it is important that all team members understand that everyone’s individual success is tied to the team’s success as a whole. If they understand that, they might work a little harder to make the team successful.
14. “If you want to build a ship, don’t gather people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and jobs, but rather teach them to yearn for the infinite immensity of the sea.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
This one is deep, but it’s also vital to understand. Team members should not only have a myopic view of the team’s goals. In other words, they should not be given tasks in a bubble with little or no knowledge of how their tasks lead to the success of the organization. Instead, team members should be fully aware of the “big picture” and realize how their individual responsibilities are part of a larger business strategy. Don’t teach team members how to hammer planks. Tell them about the ocean.
15. “There is nothing greater in the world than when someone on the team does something good, and everyone comes together to give them a pat on the back.” — Billy Martin
The former New York Yankees manager had some advice for people on a team: Be sure to praise your teammates when they do something right. If you’re the leader of a team, it’s important to cultivate a culture of praise in your organization.
16. “No matter how brilliant your mind or strategy, if you’re playing solo, you’ll always lose to a team.” — Reid Hoffman
LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman knows a thing or two about success. He’s here to tell you that he didn’t create LinkedIn on his own. It is important for team members to realize that the achievement of organizational goals is almost impossible without strong teamwork.
17. “If we were all determined to play the first violin, we should never have an ensemble. Therefore, respect each musician in his place.” — Robert Schumann
This quote by German composer Robert Schumann is great to use when you need to make everyone on your team feel valued. Of course, some team members will have responsibilities that seem more important than others. This could create a level of resentment or bitterness among other team members. However, it is important to emphasize that all team members are involved, and in this sense, no one is more important than anyone else.
Related: 9 Success and Failure Quotes by JK Rowling
Teamwork is essential for success. If you want to create a team environment where everyone understands the concept of “Together Each Achieves More”, make sure you provide the right kind of inspiration. To this end, share some powerful quotes from time to time.