Major League Baseball
7 hours ago
The Toronto Blue Jays are getting help on the field.
Toronto is acquiring outfielder Daulton Varsho from the Arizona Diamondbacks for shortstop Gabriel Moreno and outfielder Lourdes Gurriel, ESPN reported Friday.
Varsho, 26, will carry a bat and glove for the Blue Jays. The left-handed hitter hit .443 to go along with 27 home runs and 74 RBIs in 151 games last season.
In the field, Varsho has played center field, right field and catcher in recent seasons, with some metrics seeing him as one of the best fielders in the game. He will likely play right field after the Blue Jays traded Teoscar Hernandez to the Mariners in the offseason.
For the Diamondbacks, not only do they clear up their infield lock, but they also get one of the best prospects in baseball. Moreno was really was taken first overall by Baseball America in July. The 22-year-old hit well in his five seasons in the minors before playing in 25 games in the majors this season. He hit .319 with a home run and seven RBIs in 25 games, while drawing praise for his bat and arm behind the plate.
Gurriel also had a solid season at the plate in 2022. He hit .291 with a .743 OPS. But his power took a step back as he hit just five home runs in 121 games, the fewest of his five-year career.
FOX Sports Top Stories:
- Michael Conforto, Giants reportedly agree to two-year, $36 million deal
- Carlos Correa of the Mets swings the biggest flex yet from opportunist Steve Cohen
- Carlos Correa and Mets agree to 12-year, $315 million deal when Giants deal dissolves
- MLB Free Agency Tracker: Signings, Top Players Available
- Which NFL teams could get some Christmas cheer?
- Seahawks-Chiefs preview: 4 burning questions ahead of Christmas Eve game
- NFL Power Rankings, Week 16: Bills, Lions up; how low do the cowboys fall?
- Tom Brady, Bucs running out of time to stop downward spiral
- The Eagles-Cowboys game could be a preview of the NFC championship game
- Rams shortstop Baker Mayfield was headed for a tough offseason
- 2022-23 NFL Playoff Snapshot: Which Teams Are In, Who’s Still In The Hunt
- How Aaron Judge Became the Next Captain of the Yankees
- Mets shortstop Carlos Correa is the latest flex by opportunistic owner Steve Cohen
- Ryan Turrell wants to become NBA’s first Orthodox Jew: ‘Hopefully this paves the way’
- Deion Sanders on criticism of his move to Colorado: ‘I know my heart.’
- NFL odds: Cowboys-Eagles line, MVP odds move due to Jalen Hurts injury
Get more from Major League Baseball Follow your favorites for information on games, news and more