If you think rugged smartphones are a must-have for your line of work, you may be glad there isn’t an endless selection. But still, choosing one can be a daunting task.
Aside from the expected features like flashlights, walkie-talkie features and a heavy shielding feel, it’s really the functional differences between a robust phone and another that would drive your final decision. This review is of the AGM Glory GS1, which was first made available to the US market in January 2022. The company, which it did not know until this year, says that ten years ago it was ten years ago that they make rugged phones and nothing else.
Is this phone strong enough on the outside? This depends on your definition of “strong”
Although I am not an audio engineer, it seems that AGM has set the 1 kHz sound wave frequency of this phone in a high configuration. This is probably what gives the impression that this phone has “high volume”, which I have seen mentioned in other reviews. A high 1 kHz setting has been shown to be better for listening to people’s voices, along with increasing frequencies adjacent to 1 kHz. I think it was all done on purpose, to produce the final effect of above average volume on human voices in phone calls, zooms, and so on. Ultimately, “loud” is not the word I would use to characterize the Glory G1S’s audio. . Rather designed and marketed for people who need the voice of their customers or peers to sound “extra utterance”. But if you need real sound (in a construction area, for example), I would still recommend an app to turn up the volume like 4TForLive’s Super Loud Speaker Booster. This is not a negative review. Because I suggest free apps to turn up the volume all Android phone brands, even LG’s latest gap phones that were marketed as “noisy,” though by my ears, they weren’t.
The thermal camera has its uses
The thermal camera, which I tested, is something I imagine would be useful. In reference to this feature, the AGM press release says that the phone fits well with sectors such as “search and rescue, building construction, plumbing, pest management, health care, fire fighting and other first interventions “. In my test, I took a picture of 2 portable refrigerants. One was in my freezer for several days, the other was refrigerated for the same period of time. The thermal sensor showed the temperatures of both, in degrees Celsius at first, before changing the default setting to farenheit. In the thermal color scheme, you’ll notice that the phone also took my kitchen counter temperature, showing it as 77.7 degrees. Frozen refrigerant and refrigerated were read at 6.1 degrees and 42.4 degrees, respectively.
Even if you work indoors, you may see positive aspects in the overall durability of rugged phones. Or if you tend to drop your phone a lot.
Advantages of the Glory G1S
- No need to buy a separate case
- The latest MIL-STD-810H military standard to deal with extreme conditions such as humid heat and frost
- Complies with IP68 water resistance
- Reliable compass
- Made to work with T-Mobile and dual SIM cards. Note: AGM tells the Phone Quick Start Guide: “When you insert 2 SIM cards, you can only choose one of the 2 SIM cards to use the data services.”
- Sony IMX 350 Infrared Night Vision Camera Note: Photos taken with the night vision camera will always be in black and white
- Reprogrammable instant side button. Note: AGM calls it the user-defined key. It’s the walkie-talkie unless you change it
- Simple red laser pointer for in-person presentations (or as a cat toy when you’re at home)
- Thermal camera with readings. Note: It’s not the same as your night vision camera. It is in the center of the back. The photos come out in thermal colors
- Almost zero bloatware
- Battery life has not disappointed
- The phone will seek to connect to T-Mobile’s 5G network wherever it can
Cons of the Glory G1S
- Surprisingly, there are no OEM gallery apps, so you’ll need to download something like the Google Gallery app from the Play Store
- Of the 4 variants of the Glory line, the Glory Gs1 has the lightest weight with 360 g and 0.79 pounds, but it still feels heavy. This will be true with any rugged phone, even the relatively light ones will have a heavy feel. It is the second most expensive variant of the 4.
- The calculator application must be accessed by swiping two fingers down
- I’m not sure if Android’s “powerful users” will be impressed by the OEM defaults. Advanced users can always take root at their own risk.
The optional charging dock for the G1S, while high quality, is the closest thing you’ll get to “wireless” charging. The OEM acknowledges that the G1S does not have a real wireless charge
Size: 6.8 “x 3.2” x 0.6 “
Operating system: Android 11
Mobile operator: T-Mobile (USA)
Main camera: Sony IMX 582, four lenses, 48 MP autofocus
Night vision camera: 20MP with 1 infrared LED.
Thermal camera: 256 × 192 resolution, 25 FPS frame rate
Screen size and resolution: 6.53 ”, 2340 x 1080 (FHD +)
Storage: 128 GB
Battery: 5500 mAh
Image: AGM Mobile