Russell Wilson had what was by far his worst season as a starting quarterback last season.
The nine-time Pro Bowler posted career lows while guiding the Broncos to a 5-12 record, last in the AFC West. The whole operation with Wilson and first-year manager Nathaniel Hackett looked more cooked than cooked as the club’s title aspirations immediately rose and Hackett was sacked after just 15 games.
Enter Sean Payton, who has agreed to return to coaching after a sabbatical following his storied history with the Saints. Naturally, everyone is wondering if Payton can fix Wilson.
Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw, who worked alongside Payton last season as a FOX studio analyst, revealed he’s not the biggest believer in Wilson, but expects big things from his colleague regardless
“He’s going to be a successful coach because he’s going to get this team and build that makeup,” Bradshaw told reporters covering Super Bowl LVII in Arizona. “And that doesn’t mean it’s with the people who are there.”
Wilson, of course, is a big part of the Broncos’ present after signing a five-year deal with the club shortly after it was acquired by the Seahawks. Bradshaw offered some succinct thoughts on how Wilson can bounce back from a rough rookie season in Denver.
“Listen to Sean Payton,” Bradshaw said. “He had a guy your size that was smart and he ran that offense. And if you study that offense with Payton, he’s going to get you to the level you want to be.”
Bradshaw, of course, is referring to Payton’s long union with future Hall of Fame QB Drew Brees in New Orleans, where the two won a Super Bowl and were title contenders for more than a decade.
How long Payton and Wilson are together in Denver is unknown, but if they can align quickly it could make or break the Broncos’ 2023 season. Payton made it clear Monday that a culture change is coming.
What results will follow?
FOX Sports Top Stories:
- Super Bowl Opening Night: The Best Eagles, Chiefs Quotes
- Pro Bowl Confidential: 27 players pick MVP, most underrated, coaches, other questions
- Tom Brady is the best thing to happen to the Patriots, even though he retires a Buc
- Is Chiefs DT Chris Jones the NFL’s most unheralded elite defender?
- ‘I was lucky to have Damar’: Eagles’ Miles Sanders shares bond with Bills’ Hamlin
- Eagles, Chiefs were the best teams all season, creating an epic Super Bowl
- Eli Manning to Bradshaw to Brady: Ranking the 10 Best Super Bowls Ever
- 2023 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings: Top 64 Players Available
- Signing Day Report Card: Colorado, Oregon, Alabama, Texas shine
- Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes: Ranking each MLB team’s chances to sign him
- Mavericks and Mark Cuban are betting big with the Kyrie Irving trade
- 2023 Super Bowl Odds: Lines for Chiefs Eagles; Philadelphia opens as a favorite
Get more from the National Football League Follow your favorites for information on games, news and more