SimpliSafe, a company that specializes in home security systems, was trending Wednesday after a terrifying video showed what can happen when the use of fireworks doesn’t work.
The clipwhich has been viewed more than 25 million times on Twitter (after it was initially posted on Reddit and later deleted), shows a gathering of people sitting on a sidewalk, including several children.
In the upper left corner of the video, a SimpliSafe logo can be seen throughout the clip.
– Cody (@new_orleansjazz) July 6, 2022
The first firework goes out but sparks fly. Just when the coast seems clear, a fire breaks out and triggers an explosive chain reaction of fireworks and fire as the people in the video escape for safety.
Related: A woman opens the car door and finds a black bear in the driver’s seat in a viral video
Twitter was enlightened with theories about what really happened.
“I admit I’ve seen it a few times too many times, but I really think the storage was lit with a stray firework from the main one that seems to have failed,” One Twitter said. user examined. “The boy looked at the area and turned around knowing he was going to blow (his ears covered), but he didn’t know what size it would be.”
“You can see what happened, if you look,” another said pointed out. “The first fireworks they lit fired into the trunk of the car [where] the rest of the fireworks must have been stored “.
Others thought the video might have been a setup.
“If this is viral marketing for SimpliSafe, it’s genius,” someone wrote as for the clip. “The quality of the camera and microphone is good enough to paint the whole narrative in striking detail, from the uncle screaming about how fireworks mortars work, to the mother rushing her son out. A rich carpet “.
“Anyone else loves the irony of SimpliSafe around the corner,” another said he asked.
said SimpliSafe Entrepreneur they were surprised to see his name as a trend on Wednesday.
Related: Elon Musk posts an increase in shares after a tweet about the viral video
“While the quality and sensational nature of the video captured on our SimpliSafe camera may make this sound like a SimpliSafe marketing ploy, it definitely isn’t. You can’t access customers’ video and audio without permission from SimpliSafe. no one but the owner, so we were just amazed to see the video online after the customer shared it, ”said Scott Braun, growth director at SimpliSafe. Entrepreneur by email. “As a company engaged in the business of protection, we do not clarify events that could jeopardize the safety of our customers, whether or not these incidents are under our control. True to our commitment to protect our customers , we are trying to reach the customer to make sure their family and loved ones are safe. “
It is unclear where or when the viral incident took place, nor do we know if there were any injuries. The Twitter user who posted the video explained that he actually had no relationship with the people in the video.
“I found it on Reddit. I decided to post it here because of all the talk about fireworks here in Utah and it went crazy.” He wrote.
SimpliSafe also posted a PSA on its Twitter account on Wednesday afternoon.
“Today we received a lot of comments and inquiries about whether this was a planned event,” the tweet. reads. “We exist to protect our customers and not take into account events that put their security at risk. If you are or know someone in this video, let us know if everyone involved is safe.”
Last year, an estimated 11,500 fireworks-related injuries were treated during hospital emergency rooms in the U.S., and 74% of those injuries were reported over the one-month period between June 18 and July 18, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. .