Gregg Berhalter, who coached the United States at the 2022 FIFA World Cup, admitted charges on Tuesday over a 1991 incident in which he kicked his wife Rosalind in the legs during an argument outside a bar
The incident was reported to US Soccer last month and occurred when Berhalter was an 18-year-old freshman defender at the University of North Carolina.
“There are no excuses for that night; it was a shameful moment and one I regret to this day,” Berhalter wrote in a lengthy social media post that was signed by both him and his wife.
“I immediately apologized to Rosalind at the time, but understandably she wanted nothing to do with me. I told my parents, family and friends what happened because I wanted to take full responsibility for my behaviour. Rosalind also informed her parents, family and friends.Although the authorities were never involved in this matter, I voluntarily sought counseling to help me learn, grow and improve, one of the most valuable decisions I have ever made. To this day, this type of behavior has never been repeated.”
Berhalter went on to say that Rosalind contacted him seven months later and the pair reconciled – they have since been together and have four children together – and suggested that the previously unknown incident came to light as part of an apparent blackmail attempt.
“One person contacted US Soccer, saying they had information about me that would bring me down, an apparent attempt to take advantage of something very personal from a long time ago to end my relationship with US Soccer,” wrote Berhalter. on his unverified Twitter account, the authenticity of which FOX Sports was able to confirm.
In its own statement Tuesday, the U.S. Soccer Federation said it learned of the allegations on Dec. 11, a little more than a week after the U.S. team was eliminated by the Netherlands in the round of 16 of the World Cup in Qatar. The USSF said it immediately launched an independent investigation into both the incident and Berhalter’s alleged extortion.
“Through this process, US Soccer has learned of possible inappropriate behavior toward several members of our staff by individuals outside of our organization,” US Soccer’s statement said. “We take this behavior seriously and have expanded our investigation to include these allegations.
“We appreciate Gregg and Rosalind coming forward to speak openly about this incident,” the statement continued. “In keeping with our commitment to transparency, we will share the results of the investigation publicly when it is complete. USA Soccer condemns violence of any kind and takes these allegations very seriously.”
Berhalter, who was a two-time defending World Cup champion for the United States, was hired to lead the national team in December 2018, 14 months after the Americans failed to qualify for the World Cup in that year, the first US men’s tournament failure in more than 30 years. He led the squad to the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup and Nations League, and last March qualified the Americans for their first World Cup in eight years.
His four-year contract expired last week; Whether Berhalter, who managed teams in Sweden and MLS before taking the national team job, is deemed to continue as USMNT coach will likely depend on both the outcome of the investigation and the still pending technical review. by US Soccer Sports Director Earnie Stewart. .
The U.S. will begin its 2023 schedule later this month with friendlies against Serbia and Colombia in Los Angeles.
“With the review and investigation underway, US Soccer will announce who will lead the men’s national team camp in January in the coming days,” the federation said.
Get more from the United States Follow your favorites for information on games, news and more